Monday, March 22, 2010

Trudging On

Okay, so life hasn't gotten any easier. Harder, in fact. Complications on top of complications. My son still won't come home, and now he's in trouble at school for writing some very Stephen King/Edgar Allen Poe type stuff in his school journal. He's scared his teachers. The result of this is that the school scheduled an expulsion hearing and called Children's Services. The Children's Services worker not only insisted we take him to our local mental health agency for an emergency assessment, but also called several times DURING the assessment to make sure we were really AT the agency. The expulsion hearing is set for this afternoon, and the Children's Services worker intends to be present. I'm trying really hard not to think too much about what's coming this afternoon.

I haven't written since the day of the assessment...Thursday. I know I have to write. I have to write or I'll lose my mind. I just don't know where I'm going with it anymore. The trouble I have is with the big story arcs. I've got my world and my characters, but I'm having trouble coming up with a main story arc that's "big enough". I need a conflict that I can hang my world on. I've been looking at other authors' books for ideas, but so far nothing "feels right." I've been spending all my time learning the craft, doing exercises, giving my world depth...and now my world has outgrown the conflicts I started with. In some ways I feel like I'm starting over.

No comments:

Post a Comment